Sunday, August 10, 2008

My Little Sister

When I lived on my own it was a very lonely time. I felt sick, alone and scared all of the time. One day I was driving through town and noticed a sign for Big Brothers Big Sisters. I thought about it and figured it would be a great way for me to get out of the house and see life again. When I got home that day I called the organization and set up an interview. After about a nine month process I was matched up with my little sister, Madeline.I was a bit scared as I was still very sick with my eating disorder, but knew I could make a difference. Just as much as I could make a difference in her life I felt she could possibly make a difference in mine. I never expected our relationship would be so amazing, but it is. We are two-peas-in-a-pod. We love spending time together and she really has helped me. When I first met her it was hard for me to leave the house for our visits. As time went on she brought me out of my shell and I started to really look forward to our time together. She is smart, funny and very artistic. It has now been three years and going strong. I know that our friendship will last a very long time.

3 comments:

georgia b. said...

sweet. hey. i took these pics. :)

Teal Chic said...

What a great uplifting story! Good luck to you!

sandy said...

Thank you teal chic, nice to see someone reading my stories and sharing in my thoughts.